Respiratory disorders range from the common cold to bronchitis, asthma and emphysema. They all cause problems with breathing and overall wellness.
Symptoms of respiratory problems may include coughing, sneezing, congestion in the sinuses or lungs and a runny nose. Other symptoms include difficulty breathing, shortness of breath, and sore throat. Pneumonia is usually accompanied by chest pain.
Many respiratory disorders are caused by bacterial and viral infections. Some are caused by smoking or other irritants like pollution and dust.
Smoking can cause lung cancer, especially if your lungs are already compromised by other respiratory disorders.
- Echinacea - take in liquid extract or tablet form to boost immune system.
- Ephedra this herb is very powerful and has been used in China for thousands of years. Ephedra stimulates the blood flow, opens up bronchial tubes and can help those who are short of breath. Take this herb with caution. It can be addictive and dangerous. Use only under the care of an experienced herbalist.
- Peppermint this herb makes a good decongestant for colds and sinus infections. It also aids the body in getting rid of phlegm.
- Slippery elm this herb soothes sore throats and helps suppress coughs.
- Stinging nettle this herb is a natural expectorant with antiviral components. Drink tea made from the leaves or eat cooked leaves as a vegetable.
- Pleurisy root this herb has been used in Native American medicine to treat chest and upper respiratory tract problems like coughs, colds, pneumonia, bronchitis and pleurisy.
- White Horehound this herb helps rid the body of mucous and phlegm.
- Garlic take garlic capsules or add more to your diet to help prevent colds and flu.
- Ginger combine this herb with garlic to help clear up colds quickly. Take capsules, drink ginger tea or add it to water before drinking.
- Vervain this herb is beneficial for the respiratory system and can help fortify it against flu, cough and cold.
- Elecampane this herb is a natural expectorant and supports the respiratory system.
- Hyssop this herb is a traditional remedy for all disorders of the respiratory tract. It nourishes the lungs and soothes the throat as well.
- Mullein this herb soothes the lungs and helps remove mucus from the respiratory system.
- Irish moss this herb contains many nutrients for the body and supports the lungs.
- Licorice this herb is a natural expectorant. Take as directed to help the lungs release unwanted congestion.
- Lobelia this herb helps the respiratory system function better and has antispasmodic effects. It has also been used to help people stop smoking.
- Safflower this herb nourishes the respiratory system and the liver. It helps break up phlegm and aids the digestion.
- Sage this herb helps dry up excessive mucus in the body. Do not use while breastfeeding, since it can also dry up the milk.
- Eucalyptus this herb loosens phlegm. Inhale steam containing eucalyptus extract or essential oil to help clear the lungs. Pine & Tea Tree infusions also aid in loosening phlegm.
Respiratory Disorders Herbal Remedies Top