Pneumonia is a fairly common respiratory disease, with about 2 to 3 million cases diagnosed every year in the US alone. For those requiring hospitalization, approximately 14% will die of the disease.
Symptoms include chills, fever, chest pain, cough, labored breathing, fatigue, headache, leucocytosis, bloody sputum and anorexia.
Pneumonia is caused by a bacterial, fungal or viral infection or injury to the lower portion of the respiratory tract that causes inflammation. These infections and injuries can be caused by breathing in dust or chemical agents that makes fluid enter the alveolar spaces in the lungs. Aspirating stomach contents, water or other irritants can also lead to pneumonia.
Risk factors for pneumonia include smoking, alcoholism, upper respiratory tract infection, institutionalization, malnutrition, compromised immune system, and other illnesses like cancer, kidney or liver disease, congestive heart disease or cerebro vascular disorder. If you have the symptoms of pneumonia, see your doctor for diagnosis. Serious cases will require hospitalization.
- Mullein soothes irritation, reduces inflammation and has expectorant properties. Take a tea made from this herb 3 or 4 times per day. Alternatively, a tincture can be taken in a dose of 20 to 30 drops per day.
- Seneca snakeroot take an infusion in 1 cup doses 2 or 3 times daily.
- Elder take a tea of this herb to increase perspiration and reduce high temperature. Linden flower can be added to the tea.
- Echinacea add 10 drops of tincture or extract into water or tea and take this three times per day to strengthen the immune system.
- Nasturtium this herb reduces fever and has antibiotic properties. Eat the leaves and petals in salad.
- Plantain mix plantain leaves with thyme in equal parts. Take a slice of lemon and a teaspoon of sugar. Boil in a cup of water. Add the herb leaves after the water had boiled. Let the herbs steep for 30 seconds. Strain out the liquid and drink it as a hot tea. Take every hour during the acute phase of pneumonia to relieve symptoms.
- Lungwort add equal portions of this herb, plantain and marshmallow leaves. Make a tea of the herbs by steeping them in a cup of boiling water. Drink the tea three times per day. Drink this tea as fresh as possible.
- Horsetail this herb is rich in silica and can help strengthen and restore pulmonary tissue. Take 3 or 4 capsules three times a day.
- Astragalus this herb boosts the immune system and can work alongside Echinacea.
- Baical skullcap this herb is antimicrobial and inhibits flu viruses and several fungi that cause pneumonia.
- Honeysuckle use the flowers to make a tea in the summer, while the old dried leaves on the vine can be used in winter.
- Eucalyptus inhale steam to which eucalyptus oil has been added to help clear the lungs and soothe coughing.
- Peppermint add the oil to hot water and inhale the steam to sooth the lungs. Breathe the steam for fifteen minutes for the best results.
Pneumonia Herbal Remedies Top