Osteoporosis is a disease that causes you to lose bone mass. This disease frequently affects women past menopause but it also affects men as well. When bones lose mass, they become weak and brittle. Fractures happen frequently to those suffering from this ailment.
There are no symptoms during the early phases. Later, symptoms may include fractures of the vertebrae, hips or wrists, low back pain, neck pain, stooped posture, bone pain or tenderness and loss of height over time.
Bone is a living tissue. It is constantly being reabsorbed and rebuilt. Osteoporosis occurs when more bone is being reabsorbed than is being replaced. The bones eventually become weaker and thinner than they once were. Major risk factors include age, being of white or Asian ethnicity, small bone structure, heredity, previous bone fractures, estrogen deficiency, anorexia, smoking, alcohol abuse, low dietary intake and absorption of calcium and vitamin D, and a sedentary lifestyle. Some medications may put you at a higher risk, and so can other disorders like rheumatoid arthritis, thyroid problems and more.
If you notice a gradual change in your height, you should see your doctor. Measure yourself at least every two years to check your height. If you find yourself with other symptoms, get diagnosed as soon as possible. Treatment for osteoporosis can help slow down the progression of the disease. If you have any of the risk factors, change what you can before it becomes a problem.
- Alfalfa this herb contains a high ratio of calcium and magnesium. This herb also contains vitamin K, which may also help prevent bone loss caused by estrogen deficiency.
- Horsetail this herb contains silica and manganese, which are good for connective tissue, cartilage and bone formation. It also helps the body absorb and utilize calcium. Horsetail can help strengthen bones, nails, hair and teeth.
- Soy this herb is rich in phytoestrogens, which may help reduce bone loss due to lack of estrogen.
- Dandelion this herb contains boron, which is thought to help raise the estrogen level in the blood. It also contains quite a bit of calcium and silicon, which are needed to strengthen bones.
- Red clover this herb contains calcium and many other minerals that may encourage bone mass density. It also helps relieve pain and inflammation. It also helps regulate estrogen.
- Kudzu this herb helps regulate estrogens in the body. It is available as tea, tablets and capsules.
- Black cohosh this herb not only helps with menopause, but it helps regulate estrogen levels and can help with osteoporosis. It is available in tincture, tablets and capsules.
- Flax this estrogen regulator can be beneficial for osteoporosis. Use only freshly ground seeds as directed.
- Willow this herb helps reduce pain, stiffness and swelling without side effects. This may help with the pain of bone disease.
- Maca this herb can help balance hormone levels after menopause to help prevent osteoporosis. It can help increase bone density.
- Feverfew this herb contains a high concentration of silicon and zinc, which is helpful in relieving pain.
- Oat straw this herb is rich in silica, which is necessary for the proper absorption of calcium.
Osteoporosis Herbal Remedies Top