Obesity is defined as being 20% for men and 25% for women over the maximum desired weight for their height. If a person is more than 100 pounds overweight, they are described as being morbidly obese. This condition is also defined as a body mass index (BMI) over 30 kg/m2. There are three types of fat distribution: android, gynoid and those who don't fit in the two previous types. Android types are described as apple shaped. Gynoid types are described as pear shaped, and the third type has a body shaped like a barrel.
Symptoms include excess weight, a low energy level, snoring and breathing problems and a bulky physical appearance.
Obesity can be caused by overeating. This means you are taking in more calories than you need to maintain your activity level. This condition can also be caused by a low basal metabolism, disorders of the thyroid or pituitary gland, a sedentary lifestyle, an unbalanced diet, a hormonal imbalance or genetic factors. For obesity caused by overeating, watching your diet and getting regular exercise can help.
Obesity may play a role in contracting diabetes, asthma, arthritis, high cholesterol, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, cardiovascular problems and other diseases.
- Fenugreek this herb may help dissolve excess fat inside the liver.
- Dandelion this herb increases the metabolic rate, aids in treatment of fluid retention and decreases the desire for sweets. It is also very nutritious and a general tonic for the body.
- Cayenne this herb increases the metabolism and creates thirst.
- Walnut this herb stimulates the brain to tell a person they are no longer hungry. It is effective at curbing the appetite.
- Aloe vera drink the juice of this herb to help lose weight. Aloe improves the digestion and helps cleanse the digestive tract.
- Bladderwrack this sea vegetable is high in iodine, which helps the thyroid to function properly. This helps the metabolism adjust to normal.
- Chickweed this herb is a diuretic and can help weight loss.
- Evening primrose this herb contains tryptophan, which is believed to aid in losing weight. Take half a teaspoon of evening primrose oil three times per day.
- Green tea this herb is not only extra nutritious, it helps enhance the body's ability to burn fat. Drink as desired.
- Pineapple this herb contains an enzyme known as bromelain, which helps digest fats and proteins.
- Ginger juice up some ginger about the size of your fingernail. Add it to plain water first thing in the morning and drink it. Do this every day. Alternatively, chew a thin slice of ginger before meals or grate it, mix with a little lemon juice and salt and eat a pinch or two.
- Curry Leaf eat 10 to 12 full grown curry leaves every morning for 3 or 4 months.
- Licorice this herb strengthens the adrenal glands and reduces cravings for sugar. Take a cup of licorice tea daily for one week out of every month for up to three months.
- Garcinia this herb slows down the enzyme process that produces fat inside the body's cells. It reduces appetite by maintaining blood sugar levels and helps convert blood sugar into glycogen instead of fat.
Obesity Herbal Remedies Top