Nervous disorders encompass quite a few problems ranging from anxiety and stress to depression. These problems can vary from very mild to debilitating problems that affect a person's physical well-being. While stress can begin as a healthy stimulus, it can quickly become overwhelming and cause anxiety and affect the health.
Symptoms to watch for may include worrying, apprehension, irritability, anticipating the worst, poor memory, lack of concentration, loss of interest, depression, inability to sleep or waking frequently, hot and cold flushes, prickling sensations, blurred vision, feeling weak, tightness of breath, feeling like you're choking, and sighing. You may also feel a pressure or constriction in the chest, suppressed periods, impotence, frigidity, premature ejaculation, excessive bleeding during periods, and frequency of urination. Feelings of tension, fatigue, trembling, belching, twitching of the eyelids, sweating, feeling restless, muscle aches, teeth grinding, palpitations, indigestion, constipation, dry mouth, giddiness, difficulty swallowing, gas, loose bowels and weight loss can also be attributed to nervous disorders.
Nervous disorders can be caused by your environment. Maybe your job is particularly stressful, or you are under financial strain. Poor diet can contribute to our reactions to normal stresses. We push ourselves with long hours, little sleep and trying to cram in as much as we can in the hours we are awake.
Depression and anxiety can be debilitating and life-threatening. Seek medical attention if needed.
- Ginkgo biloba this herb increases blood flow to the brain and has been used for generations to help nerve regeneration in the brain. Also may help with mood swings and improve mental alertness.
- St. John's wort this herb affects how the brain works with serotonin and is frequently used to treat depression very successfully. Take in tablet or liquid extract form. May help in treatment of anxiety, nervous fatigue, depression and insomnia.
- Kava kava this herb has been used for centuries. It affects the nervous system in a similar fashion to narcotics. Kava can be used for anxiety since it works with the nervous system chemically much like Valium does. This herb has analgesic, anesthetic and muscle-relaxing effects. It can be chewed directly or taken as a tea. Only take Kava under guidance of medical herbalist.
- Lavender - helps with nervous agitation - take in liquid extract or infusion.
- Lime flowers - useful in treatment of stress - take as an infusion at bedtime.
- Brahmi - considered a brain tonic and used traditional as a memory tonic. Take to treat anxiety and improve memory and concentration - take in liquid extract, tablet or capsule form.
- Passionflower this herb is a natural tranquilizer and can be used to calm nervous disorders. Standardized extracts can be found easily and taken according to package directions.
- Skullcap this herb is very good at calming nervous conditions, epileptic symptoms and premenstrual tension. Skullcap can be found as tea, tablets and capsules.
- Motherwort this herb can be used to treat anxiety and tension. It works well with the heart and can help reduce palpitations and fear that comes with anxiety.
- Valerian this herb is a natural sedative and can help calm stress and anxiety. It can also help insomnia that may be related.
- Wild lettuce this herb helps sleep to come to those suffering from insomnia.
- Oats this very mild remedy can help calm the body and relieve stress. A tincture can be taken as needed.
- Chamomile this mild herb can be taken as a tea to help relieve stress and anxiety. It is safe enough to be taken as needed as a tea.
- Lemon balm this gentle herb can help relieve mild depression and stress. Take as liquid extract or drink 2-3 cups of an infusion made with dried leaves.
- Siberian ginseng this herb can help relieve nervous disorders because it is an adaptogen. It works to normalize conditions in the body.
- Wood betony this herb is a natural nervine and tonic. It is often combined with other herbs to make compound remedies.
Nervous Disorders Herbal Remedies Top