Mononucleosis is a highly contagious disease. Known as the "kissing disease" mono is spread through direct contact with others. Stay away from others who have the disease if possible, don't share items like makeup, toothbrushes and eating utensils. Wash your hands frequently throughout the day and take regular baths to help prevent catching this disease. Once you catch this virus, it takes four to six weeks to beat it if you have a normal immune system.
Symptoms may include palpitations or rapid heartbeat, jaundice, pain in the upper left quadrant of the abdomen, muscle aches, throbbing joints, exhaustion, headache, fever, sore throat, tonsillitis or swollen lymph glands, lack of appetite and bloated liver.
Mononucleosis is caused by the Epstein-Barr virus and is passed from person to person through direct contact. Sneezing, coughing, sharing utensils, straws or lip gloss and kissing and other forms of intimate contact can all spread this virus. This illness affects the liver, mouth and lymph nodes.
It is a good idea to see a physician if you suspect you have mononucleosis. If you have a cold for longer than two weeks, it may be mono. Try to limit your contact with others until you are well.
- Garlic this herb is antiviral and can be very effective against infections. Take 3 capsules three times per day.
- Cleavers this herb helps cleanse the lymphatic system, which is your first line of defense against disease.
- Wild indigo this herb is another beneficial lymphatic cleanser. Follow the directions on the label for the best results.
- Astragalus this herb is good for physical weakness, which is a primary symptom of mononucleosis.
- Echinacea this well-known herb is good for boosting the immune system and helping you get over this virus. It is also useful when fever is present. Take 10 to 15 drops of tincture every one or two hours during fever.
- Goldenseal this herb not only helps the immune system, it helps relieve sinus congestion.
- Elder this herb can be helpful in reducing fever. Take 1 tablespoon twice a day.
- Yarrow another beneficial fever reducer. Take this herb as directed on the label.
- St. John's wort this herb can help you feel less anxious and depressed.
- Vervain this herb helps relieve anxiety, depression and jaundice.
- Slippery elm this herb is good for making a gargle to relieve sore throat.
- Green tea take 250 to 500 mg of extract or drink tea to benefit from this herb. It is anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and it stimulates the immune system.
- Milk thistle take 80 to 160 mg of the extract two or three times per day to detoxify the body.
- Reishi mushroom this herb is good for inflammation and immunity. Take 150 to 300 mg two or three times per day. Alternatively, you can take 30 to 60 drops of tincture two or three times per day.
- Cat's claw this herb is anti-inflammatory and antiviral. Take 20 mg of extract three times per day.
- Lavender add a few drops of the essential oil to a warm bath for soothing results.
- Eucalyptus if you don't like lavender, you can add eucalyptus essential oil instead.
Mononucleosis Herbal Remedies Top