Low Immune System
A low immune system may not present any visible symptoms if no nasty bug gets into your blood stream. However, when we do pick up a bug, our immune system helps protect us from getting sick by attacking and killing the invading bugs. The immune system has a nifty trick of identifying the offender and remembering them for future infections. The immune system attacks the offending germs through an elaborate defense mechanism that uses antibodies and lymphocytes, or white blood cells. Low immunity means your immune system is weakened. You are more prone to becoming sick and your ability to fight infection is lessened.
A low immune system is diagnosed through the observance of chronic infections, recurrent colds and flu, repeated outbreaks of herpes and sore lymph glands. Some say that cancer only occurs in a low immunity situation.
The immune system can become weakened through eating habits, emotional stress, and lifestyle. It can also be lowered if someone has certain medical procedures. Nutrient deficiency, inflammatory bowel disease, HIV or AIDS and other conditions can also weaken the immune system.
As always, it is best to keep your health professional informed of any decisions you make about any medicines you decide to take, including herbal remedies.
- Aloe Vera - take manufactured drink of Aloe Vera to stimulate the immune system.
- Astragalus this herb fights viral infections. It also helps produce interferon, which is a natural compound that battles viruses. Take 200 mg standardized extract twice a day. Rotate in 3 week cycles with Echinacea.
- Ashwagandha this herb reduces stress and encourages health. Take according to the directions on the label.
- Siberian ginseng this herb is regularly used to support the immune system. Take 100 to 300 mg twice a day.
- Asian ginseng this herb helps prevent illness and is used routinely to treat immune-related disease.
- Echinacea this herb is well-known for its immune boosting powers. It is readily available as capsules and extracts. Take 200 mg twice a day for three weeks.
- Green tea this simple herb can help stimulate the production of immune cells. Drink this tea daily or take an extract.
- Garlic this herb stimulates the circulation and is warming. It can heal infections like colds and sore throats. It also boosts the immune system. Add this herb to your daily diet or take supplements.
- Ginger if you have a sore throat, you can make a tea and add a little bit of ginger juice to soothe it.
- Gotu kola this herb boosts the immune system and gives it support. Supplements of gotu kola are readily available at most herbal and health food stores.
- Bayberry this herb is a natural antibiotic and works well for sore throat, cough, cold and flu.
- Goldenseal this herb strengthens the immune system. It also helps cleanse and detoxify the body. It also has antibacterial properties that will help a low immune system.
- Schizandra this herb's berries pump up the immune system with regular use.
- Olive leaf the extract of this herb is very beneficial to a person's well-being. Take as directed on the label.
- Licorice this herb enhances the immune system. It jumps right in and helps when an immune system is under attack. Take tincture, capsules or extract.
- Bupleurum this Chinese herb helps improve the immune system with regular use. It is often combined with Chinese skullcap, ginseng and licorice.
- Cat's claw use the tincture or pill form of this herb to improve a low immune system. It is reported to be used to help cancer patients by increasing their amount of white blood cells. It is often mixed with other herbs. Cat's Claw should be taken only on the advice of medical herbalist. Do not exceed the prescribed dose and report any side effects.
Low Immune System Herbal Remedies Top