As a person ages, gray hair is a natural occurrence and is nothing to worry unduly about. This article is more relevant for people that are experiencing premature graying of the hair, especially when it happens to young people. Color in hair is from melanin pigment. Absence of this pigment results in white hair.
Symptoms may include loss of color in the hair, dry hair and hair loss.
Premature graying may be caused by nutrient deficiency, most notably, a lack of vitamin b, iron, copper and iodine. It may be associated with pernicious anemia. Worry, lack of hygiene on the scalp, washing the hair with hot water and drying it with electric dryers, using hair dyes and some common ailments like colds, sinusitis, thyroid disorders and chronic constipation can all predispose a person to premature graying. Heredity and hormonal imbalance may also play a part. Smoking or early menopause may also be a factor in the problem.
Premature graying may be due to illness, such as anemia. It is important to recognize the signs and treat the illness. Untreated ailments like anemia can become serious if ignored.
- Ginger grate fresh ginger and mix with honey in a jar. Eat a teaspoon full every day.
- Amla this Indian herb helps the liver and keeps the body in a healthy state. If this herb is used regularly, it can delay graying of the hair and promote healthy growth.
- Brahmi this herb is from India and has been used for centuries to enhance healthy hair growth. It is thought to also prevent graying.
- Fo Ti this Chinese herb is well known as a remedy to restore hair color and nourish the hair, skin, teeth and nails. It is said to help return an aging person to youth.
- Reishi mushroom this herb supports the immune system and is thought to stave off aging. It is known as the mushroom of immortality.
- Psoralia this herb has long been used in China to restore color to prematurely gray hair. It also prevents hair loss.
- Schisandra this herb was renowned in China as a beauty tonic and is best known as an anti-aging, youth-preserving herb.
- Rehmannia this herb is used as a longevity herb and is found in many anti-aging formulas. It is said to boost hair growth.
- Mulberry this herb has been traditionally used in China for premature graying of the hair. It increases the nourishment that gets to the hair follicles.
- Curry eating this herb can strengthen the hair shaft and help prevent premature graying. You can also apply it externally by making curry oil. Boil curry leaves in coconut oil and apply the cooled oil on the scalp.
- Fenugreek make a paste from 1 teaspoon fenugreek seed powder, 1 tablespoon coffee, 2 tablespoons of henna powder, 2 tablespoons of mint juice and 2 tablespoons of basil juice. Apply this paste to the hair and leave it set for two hours. Wash out with any natural shampoo.
- Hibiscus boil hibiscus leaves in coconut oil for 30 minutes. Add a piece of camphor to it just before it is done. Strain the herbs out and use the oil for a healthy gray hair massage.
Gray Hair Herbal Remedies Top