Fertility problems plague a number of couples and many seek help to conceive a child. There are herbal remedies for this problem that can address many of the complex issues that may be causing a problem with conception.
Symptoms may include failure to conceive and there may be irregular periods. Repeated disappointment in achieving pregnancy may result in depression or anxiety.
Fertility problems can be caused by physical reasons, such as malformation of the fallopian tubes or ovaries, hormonal imbalance, lack of ovulation, poor quality sperm, impotence, poor quality eggs, endometriosis, malnutrition and related gynecological problems.
If you have been trying to conceive unsuccessfully for more than a year you should consult your doctor who will carry out tests to determine the cause of infertility.
- Red clover this herb helps prepare the uterus and nourishes the body. It relaxes the nervous system and promotes fertility. Since it is so high in trace minerals needed by the glands, it can help balance hormones and help achieve pregnancy. Take 1 or more cups of red clover infusion daily for several months leading up to conception. The dried flowers can be bought commercially.
- Stinging nettle another nourishing herb, this one addresses the kidneys, adrenal glands and the uterus specifically. It contains a lot of minerals and chlorophyll to balance the hormones. Drink 1 or more cups of infusion every day for several months leading up to conception.
- Red raspberry leaf this is probably one of the most popular herbs for pregnancy. It is also good when you are preparing for pregnancy. Red raspberry leaf is a well known uterine tonic and contains a lot of calcium. Combine with red clover blossoms to really boost its fertility effects.
- Dong quai this Chinese herb is a very effective promoter of fertility. Use a tincture during the days between ovulation and menstruation only for the best results. Do not use this herb alone. It should be used only in combination with other fertility herbs.
- False Unicorn this root is a uterine tonic that helps to change the pH of the ovaries, bladder and kidneys. Take 5 to 15 drops of tincture per day. This herb is endangered in the wild, so be careful to avoid adulterated preparations.
- Damiana this herb balances the hormones and tones the nervous system. It also is reported to increase the sex drive. Take this herb consistently for several weeks before trying to conceive.
- Chasteberry this herb balances hormones and helps regulate the menstrual cycle. It has also been used to strengthen the libido.
- Black cohosh this herb has been used for thousands of years by Native Americans to support the female reproductive system. It balances the hormones as well.
- Siberian ginseng this herb maintains a healthy flow of blood to the reproductive organs and helps regulate the menstrual cycle. It is also an adaptogen, and helps maintain a balance in the body.
- Lady's mantle this herb helps build up the uterine lining and regulates menstruation.
- Astragalus this herb works well for male infertility. It improves sperm motility and concentration.
- Korean ginseng another remedy for male infertility, this herb helps impotence, increases testosterone levels, sperm count and motility.
- Wild yam a cream containing wild yam may help lengthen the luteal phase of a woman's cycle by adding progesterone to her system and hence alleviate some fertility problems.
Fertility Problems Top