Diarrhea results when bowel movements become more watery and increase in volume and frequency. It is often accompanied by an upset stomach or bowel cramping. People with severe or recurring problems may be at risk of dehydration, so it is important to keep your water intake high. As well as water, the ailment depletes the body of needed minerals like potassium, magnesium, calcium and sodium.
Symptoms include an increased frequency in bowel movements, abdominal pain and cramping, thirst, weight loss, fever, chills and a general overall feeling of illness. Diarrhea is often a symptom of another illness like food poisoning or inflammatory bowel disease.
Diarrhea is often caused by an infection. Food and water can carry viruses, bacteria and parasites that are often the cause. Medications can also cause the problem to occur, accompanies by many other symptoms. People who have food intolerance, such as those who are lactose intolerant may get diarrhea if they ingest milk or other dairy products. Babies can sometimes develop it while teething. It can also be caused by anxiety.
Seek medical assistance if the problem persists for more than 24 hrs in children and 48 hrs in adults. If there is blood in the stool, see a doctor. This may be a symptom of inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome, pancreatitis, diverticular disease, bowel cancer, celiac disease, hyperthyroidism, AIDS, dysentery, ulcerative colitis or Crohn's disease, among others.
- Raspberry leaf raspberry and blackberry leaves will help dry up the mucous membranes in the intestines. Use either one or a combination of both to make a tea by combining 1.5 grams of dried leaves in 1 cup boiling water, steep for 5 minutes. Strain and drink half a cup per hour to maximum of 3 cups. This tea is gentle enough for children.
- Carob use the powder to treat the problem by taking 1.5 grams per 2.2 pounds of body weight. The powder can be dissolved in a hydrating solution such as water or milk.
- Bilberry take 4 grams over several doses during the day. Do not take bilberry if you take blood thinners.
- Agrimony this herb is a traditional and well used remedy. Infuse 3 grams in 1 cup boiling water for 5 minutes, strain and drink 3 cups a day.
- Cinnamon - to aid in treatment of cramps. Drink an infusion 3 times a day.
- Pomegranate drink the juice or chew a few pieces of the inner lining with a bit of salt.
- Mint add 1 teaspoon of mint juice to ½ a teaspoon of ginger juice and 1 teaspoon of honey. Take this remedy three times per day.
- Papaya grate a raw papaya and add it to 3 cups of water. Boil the fruit for 10 minutes and then strain the fruit from the water. Drink all three cups throughout the day.
- Lemon drink the juice of a freshly squeezed lemon that has been added to a large glass of water 3 to 5 times per day. This will kill off any pathogens that may be causing the problem.
- Kelp for diarrhea that is caused by unpurified water, boil 2 cups of water and let it cool. Add 3 teaspoons of black pepper and 1-1/2 teaspoons of kelp. Drink throughout the day as necessary.
- Garlic chew raw garlic cloves or take up to 10 capsules of garlic oil every day to kill bacteria responsible for diarrhea.
- Nutmeg put enough nutmeg on a spoon that would cover up a dime. Swallow the nutmeg to stop diarrhea. This remedy is safe for children.
- Catnip drink catnip tea as needed throughout the day to relieve diarrhea.
- Oak - drink an 3 cups a day of an infusion of 2grams dried bark in 1 cup boiling water that has beens steeped for 10 minutes and strained.
- Walnut - infusion of 10 grams dried leaves in 1 litre boiling water, steeped for 15 minutes, strained and drink 3 cups a day.
Essential oils that may provide refief in the symptoms of diarrhea include chamomile, eucalyptus and cedarwood, patchouli, lavender, orange and peppermint. Use in burner or in massage by diluting a few drops of the oil in a carrier oil. Suggested treatment includes Lavender add a drop of lavender essential oil, ginger essential oil and orange essential oil to a light carrier oil like sweet almond. Massage this mixture into the abdominal area for relief.
Diarrhea Herbal Remedies Top