Dark Armpits Herbal Remedies
Some people develop dark armpits or underarms after years of using deodorants, shaving and doing other things that exacerbate the condition. Fair-skinned people are most affected by this problem since it is much more noticeable due to the paleness of their skin. People of Indian and Polynesian descent may also notice darkened underarms from shaved hair growth that remains below the skin's first layer.
Dark underarms are noted for the dark skin in the armpits that may also be accompanied by sweating, itching and a bad odor.
Dark armpits are thought to be caused by shaving, dead skin build up, deodorants that contain chemicals, alcohol and strong fragrances, infections, excessive sweating and friction from tight clothing. Other causes may include using androgen-based contraceptives, genetics, having dark hair follicles and being overweight. Some methods of prevention include waxing instead of shaving to get rid of the follicles, using alum instead of harsh chemical deodorants and exfoliating the underarms. It may also be caused by a skin disease known as acanthosis nigricans.
If you notice hyper pigmentation (too much pigment in the skin) on your underarms and around the base of the neck, it may be a symptom of type II diabetes. See your doctor for diagnosis. Acanthosis nigricans can also be a symptom of a tumor in the stomach. It may also be a symptom of a glandular disorder.
- Fenugreek soak 1 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in a cup of water overnight. Drink this water in the morning on an empty stomach, discarding the seeds. Do not eat anything for half an hour afterwards.
- Lemon rub slices of lemon on the armpits to help lighten the skin. Alternatively, take lemon juice, add a little honey and sugar and heat it together to make a syrup. Let it cool down and apply to dark areas on the underarms. Apply this 4 times during a 7 day period for lighter underarms.
- Turmeric combine a pinch of turmeric powder with 1 teaspoon of lime juice and 1 teaspoon of cucumber juice to make a paste. Apply this paste to the armpit to treat dark patches. Another turmeric recipe for dark armpits involves 1 tablespoon of curd, 1 teaspoon of graham flour, a pinch of turmeric and 1 teaspoon of milk that is mixed into a paste and applied to the underarms.
- Rose mix rose water and sandalwood powder to make a paste and apply to the underarms.
- Lime apply lime juice directly to the armpits, rubbing it in. After 15 minutes, wash it off. Do this for a month to see results.
- Neem apply neem oil to darkened underarms. Some may find the odor disagreeable, but those who have used it have seen results.
- Cinnamon take 1 capsule in the morning and another at night to lighten underarms that are discolored. Alternatively, mix ½ teaspoon of cinnamon with 1 teaspoon of honey and take this before meals.
- Licorice this herb's root extract contains a property that stimulates the production of pheomelanin, which lightens areas of high pigmentation. Mix licorice root extract with aspen extract and raspberry extract for the best results.
Dark Armpits Herbal Remedies Top